Originally, Pennsylvania German symbols called "sechs" signs were six pointed rosettes. The word "sechs" means six in German. It is possible that the word "hex" sign may have evolved from a mispronounciation of the word "sechs." These extremely colorful circle signs often have geometric designs and feature imaginative art forms such as doves, lilies, hearts and tulips. Today's Hex Signs are used "Chust fer nice".
The "Dutch" hex signs began as barn signs expressing a deep faith in God and fellow man. Hex sign symbols and their meanings are:
• Rosette and star - good luck
• Tulips and other flowers - faith, hope and charity
• Birds (distlefinks) - good luck, or good fortune
• Hearts - love in marriage and love of fellow man
• Scalloped borders - smooth sailing in life
Other designs may be used for specific purposes such as rain signs, love signs, fertility signs, friendship signs, peace signs, etc.
The most common colors used are red, yellow, green and blue, all thought to have powers to ward off sickness and spells. Meanings of colors generally used are:
• Red - love, emotion, life
• Green - growing things, luck, happiness
• Yellow - divinity, life, sun, gentility
• Blue - Heaven, truth, beauty
• Brown - harvest, humility, pleasure
• White - purity, joy, everlasting life
• Violet - dignity, power, pride
The cost won't reach you so in the pocket book . . .
& they're very lasty.
Our Hex Signs are custom made, hand cut and painted to your exact specifications. We offer a variety of sizes from 18" up to 48".
Would you like your sign to be sandblasted? We can do that! You can also create your own design, and we will build your unique sign just for you.